If you are looking for ways to shed a few pounds fast, tighten up those abs, or just feel better, move more easily, and be a little more health-conscious this article is for you. No matter what your level or lifestyle, these simple tips are doable and very beneficial. You will see quick results in a short space of time. Here we go in no particular order:
1. Love the leaves. Try wrapping your burger in lettuce leaves or serving up stuffed peppers or cabbage for dinner. You guessed it, no pasta or bread.
2. Bake instead of fry. If you have to have fries, then bake them instead of frying. Deep fat fried food really soaks up all the oil it is prepared in.
3. For salad dressings, use pure virgin olive oil, vinegar (white, malt or apple cider), lemons, or limes to flavor.
4. If you must use condiments I would recommend mustard, or other herbs and spices since they are low in calories. A favorite of mine is cayenne or jalapeno pepper.
5. The more color on your plate the better. Go for the rich greens, reds, and other wonderful natural food colors. Spinach, beets, and berries are all good choices.
6. If you must have meat, choose turkey instead of pork or beef. It is much lower in fat, and the body can handle it more easily.
7. Beans are a great way to add taste and get your daily protein intake.
8. Read the label. That is what it is there for. If the sodium content is really high I don't recommend it. For example canned soups are high in sodium.
9. Stay away from processed and prepackaged foods as they tend to have a lot of chemicals, artificial sweeteners, and other not so healthy additives. Ready-made dinners fall into this category.
9. Be conscious of how much one serving is and ONLY consume that amount. Try not to overindulge.
10. Be open to trying new foods. Trick your body, switch it up. Sometimes our body plateaus because we eat the same things at the same time every day. Venture out and try curry or chili for a change. They can be prepared with our without meat.
11. Make sure you drink 6-8 glasses of water daily. Sometimes we fill our stomachs when our body is actually thirsty and not hungry. Try drinking or sipping first before you go ahead and prepare that snack.
12. Plenty of fiber first. Fruits and vegetables are low-calorie foods and they will fill you up nutritiously.
These tips are not exhaustive but are manageable changes that you can begin to introduce into your day. Please don't be hard on yourself. Take ONE tip, try it, build a habit, and then ADD another one.
Before you know it you will be feeling lighter, happier, and healthier all at the same time.