Clothes on the floor, socks unpaired, misplaced shoes. Overcrowded bookshelves. You can not find the one spice you need to flavor your food. Forget about locating something in the garage. You need a hammer or screwdriver. God forbid you put it in a toolbox. Forget about it anyway it's too deep into the garage to try and reach for it.
So you go to the store and buy more socks and shoes. You accumulate more spices and tools...
Here are five simple steps to follow to help you get organized.
1. Tackle one small area at a time. For example one dresser drawer a day. Or sort your shoes only. Once this task has been completed then move on to the next. Otherwise, you may start, and stop a few minutes later because you have become overwhelmed with the vastness of the task.
2. Pick a day, a time, and stick to it. This way you will be less likely to put it off!
3. Be prepared to make decisions no matter how small.
4. I suggest having a bag or box as you begin to sort through your belongings. Create a keep and donate pile. There are plenty of thrift stores or goodwill charities where you can drop off clothing, furniture, and other household items.
5. If you buy a new piece of clothing, make it a practice to recycle an old one. This way you will keep the load lighter, the closet cleaner, and your mind, less muddled.
For more tips on getting organized please feel free to contact me directly.