Ever feel hungry mid-morning or afternoon?
Find yourself dosing by 3 p.m?
Stuck in traffic and wish you had a quick "pick-me-up".
Try these on for size...
1. Carry a protein bar in your bag. There are so many brands, flavors, and protein counts to choose from. As a guideline, the more protein, the dryer the bar tends to be. And you will need to drink water with it to get the full benefit.
2. Put a quarter cup of mixed fruit and nuts in a zip lock bag. This will help you to be prepared but also prevent you from eating TOO many at one time.
3. 1-2 oz Cheese stick and medium-sized apple.
4. 4-6 oz plain yogurt with 1-2 tablespoons of cranberries, raisins, granola, preserves or honey to "sweeten".
I am not a fan of the prepackaged yogurts as they tend to add a lot of sugar.
5. Celery sticks or baby carrots with 1-2 tablespoons of natural nut butter such as almond, cashew, walnut, or mixed nut.
You could also try a seed butter like pumpkin or sunflower.
6. Hummus with vegetables, or on pita bread. This is a spread or dip made with chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, and salt, and sometimes it may have other ingredients like red pepper or pine nuts.
This is a good vegetarian choice.
7. A hard-boiled egg is a good source of protein. (Your co-workers, might not like it, as it does have a strong odor). It is good to combine the protein with a serving of vegetables or fruit for a balanced snack.
The bottom line, is to have something prepared ahead of time, and not be caught off guard. That's when you make the wrong selection, by making a bad food choice OR eating too much.